A.A.M.S
-------------------------------------------------------------------
“Wait, the dude that makes you go
asleep?”, I asked raising my eyebrow at her questioningly.
“Wait, the dude who sprouts daisies
from his forehead?”, heir asked.
We made confused noises at him.
Heir shrugged “You know, daisy, forehead, and they sprout?”
“Anyways, daisy foreheads aside,
the sandman is a myth.” I said going back to the conversation at hand.
“Well, he was always creepy when I
worked for him but he has never been a myth. The sandman not only gives you
dreams, he also has to give you nightmares. You can imagine what kind of damage
it would to a person to give toddlers nightmares every night. To make them afraid
of the dark and the boogieman. To make future mental illnesses. The sandman
feels guilty, and the guilt drove him to grief. That is, until you showed up
here.”, Cat said looking at me.
“Me? What do I have to do with the
sandman?”, I asked sitting down on the bench again.
“you were much too young to
remember, but your mother does. You used to have nightmares every night didn’t
you? You would wake up crying or screaming. “She said with curiosity in her
voice. It seems like that is the way she speaks, and she couldn’t even change
it when she was in disguise.
“How would you even know that? I
don’t even know that.”
“Because as the sandman’s guardian
I had to witness all his unfortunate deeds. I had to know who would be likely
to attack him. But I never imagined it would be you Alice. Sure, you had a
wretched childhood, and many would have expected you to be affected by it. But you’re
still the girl you always were. You stand up for the weak, and you don’t take
hatred.”
“I don’t understand. Why would I
attack the sandman? I didn’t even know he existed.”
“It’s hard to explain, death
explained it to me though so I will use her words. When you were hit by that
car you released a power of yours. Haven’t you ever wondered why the people
around you tend to notice you and care for you? Hatter did the same, even if it
was in his own twisted way. You make people clear their minds, open them. And
then you try to clean out the bad stuff. Like a surgeon taking out a tumor.”
I glared at her, “Not a good
metaphor.”
“Sorry. I forgot. The downfalls
are that a mind that is open can also be open to other things than good. And
another downfall is that sometimes the bad is just too much. And you can’t
clean it all off. So you store it away, you put it somewhere where you know it won’t
harm others. In your mind. That’s why you had the tumor Alice, because all that
bad stuff collected together and was starting to kill you.” Cat said looking at
me very seriously.
“What do you mean it was starting
to kill me? I only had a few weeks at best.”
“No, it wasn’t large enough, you
wouldn’t have died.”
“What does it matter now? I’m dead;
I was hit by a car on my mother’s wedding day. And now I’ll never see the
living world again, or her. Or anyone I loved.” I buried my face in my hands.

No comments:
Post a Comment